Center for Japanese Language Education,the University of Tokyo

General Course

Back to "Course Information"




This course is the standard course, which the Center for the Japanese language Education provides for those students who will study Japanese along with their research activities.


The course is divided into two tracks, 〈Comprehensive Japanese〉and〈Specific Japanese〉.


〈Comprehensive Japanese〉is divided into six levels, ranging from introductory (Level 1) to advanced (Level 5).


Please determine the level of the course you will take by yourself based on the results of the placement test which is offered on the Center’s homepage.


Each course uses a textbook which matches with the level and meets three times a week (two times a week for advanced, 100 minutes each time).  Considering that students are busy with research and preparation for the entrance exams, the courses will be designed to allow students to attend each class while still providing the most effective learning potential for the course content within a limited amount of time. For example, there is no homework. (However, for those students who wish to study more, other learning materials will be introduced.) Classes in each level are provided every term, so if one works hard they can start from level one and move up one level every semester to reach advanced.



〈Specific Japanese〉includes Kanji I and Kanji II for beginner and intermediate students and Intermediate Japanese for Communication for intermediate students(one session each). It is possible to take these courses separately or in addition to 〈Comprehensive Japanese〉.




To Page Top



Potential Applicants / Selection


International students and foreign researchers at the University of Tokyo.


     - Applications will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis. 

     - There is no selection criteria.

       Please use your home PC to check your Japanese proficiency Level and select classes to apply to.


  -> Proficiency Level Check before enrolling

     - Foreign spouses of international students or foreign researchers at the University of Tokyo may also enroll in some of the classes if there is enough space.


* In the Intermediate Japanese for Communication, students will be allowed to take this class only if their proficiency levels suit the class.

Apply for this class first, attend the first class and take a short test.




To Page Top



Course Period, Class Schedule, and Textbooks




For Year 2018 October Course    




To Page Top




How to apply for General Course





[ Place ] Center for Japanese Language Education (Administration Bureau Building 2, 5th floor)




[ Period ]   The designated application period;

                  early April (for April Course), and early October (for October Course)




[2018.10.10] Registration for General Course has closed.



・Application Period [2018 October Course]  

    International Students and Research Students:

September 25 (Tue.), 26 (Wed.), 27 (Thurs.),

October 1 (Mon.), 4 (Thurs.) and 5 (Fri.)


October 1 (Mon.), 4 (Thurs.) and 5 (Fri.)

    Spouses: October 4 (Thurs.) and 5 (Fri.)
      1:30-4:00 p.m.





Please use your home PC to check your Japanese proficiency Level and select classes to apply to.  


  -> Proficiency Level Check before enrolling


Applications will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis until the class becomes full.


No application will be accepted after the registration period.


                    * Application by Proxy
                    * Multiple Enrollments
                    * A document that proves the relationship with the spouse


            ⇒ See "General Course: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)"




[ Necessary documents for Application ] 


               (1) ID card issued by UTokyo*

               (2) 2 copies of photo (4cm x 3cm)

               (3) Attendance sheet


                * If your ID card has not been issued, please bring an official
                   document stamped by the dean of your school/institute/hospital, which
                   shows that you have been officially accepted by the University of Tokyo.
                   If you do not have such a document, please prepare a certificate of
                   acceptance stamped by the dean of your school/institute/hospital.
                   A sample form can be downloaded from here.

           In addition to the above, foreign researchers must supply the following.

               (4) Letter of Request from your Supervising Professor


           For more information, please check the "Application Guideline -General Course- (2018 October Course)".







[ Download ] 2018 October Course 



For registration, following information(*) of applicants will be required.

*・mail address

 ・Status and Affiliation at UTokyo, Name of your supervisor, etc.





Attendance Sheet
Letter of Request

Certificate of


all applicants
(researchers only)



The Japanese Language Course in Komaba Research Campus -2018 October- will be conducted by Nihongo Center, UTokyo   

-->  [website of Japanese Language Course in Komaba Research Campus]



To Page Top






* Notes on Attendance and Completion Certificates

A certificate of completion will be issued if students keep over 60% attendance and take each review test(2 times) during the course.

In order for students who attend universities with a credit exchange agreement with the University of Tokyo to receive a certificate for credit, an official request from your department is required.




To Page Top